Journey into Textiles at the Edinburgh College of Art

REFLECT. RESPOND. REFINE. Sample development

After gathering research considering materials, colour and composition, I started to sample small sections from my sketches. I am using the techniques discussed in my previous blog posts.

Mola work samples are quite successful. Microbial cellulose gives a leathery, skin like tactile sensation. The additional fabrics provide structure and sturdiness to on its own fragile fabric – the cellulose. At the beggining I was afraid that the molecular cellulose will not handle the sewing machine well but I was wrong, it is in fact very flexible and resilient material not that hard to work with. The samples represent well the human skin’s texture, tactility, structure.

I really enjoy working with foam neoprene. Even on its own it is a really pleasant material to touch. Just a simple machine stitch shapes the neoprene to almost 3D structure.
This material works great to complement my focal point in this project – tactility.
Samples are representing the organisation of cells in human skin. Sample on the left shows stretch marks.
Worth mentioning that I really enjoy working white colour on white, hence the embroidery.

Even microbial cellulose already has a texture very similar to human’s skin, structuring it with patchwork really lets me to push the exploration into the subject.
Here I was adding details in colour as well since my colour palette is quite blunt.

Patchwork, joining cellulose with other materials which in my eyes had similar texture was not easy. As mentioned before microbial cellulose tend to be fragile depending on which fabrics are combined with it.
I really like the sample on the left. It was made using cut offs from the other samples, not planing much. Yet the result falls into the context of my main theme, it resembles skin formation, paging skin, cracks.

Lastly I was experimenting with crochet. Previously only using thread, I decided to include different materials. I crochet with polyester net, what was quite challenging but I really like the end result. The structure made from EVA is more fragile. Joined together – great balance in weight.

After exploring the materials and how they work using different techniques I started to combine small samples, to experiment with composition, weight and volume of possible final samples.

Some combined samples are simpler, some more busy and voluminous. For this occasion I believe I would be more choosing the volume, to really push the techniques learn so far. Moreover, the colour palette allows me to do so. As mentioned before, at the moment I am concentrating on structural textiles and really conscious consideration of materials and techniques.

One comment