Journey into Textiles at the Edinburgh College of Art

BIOMIMICRY. Drawings and plans

BIOMIMICRY. Drawings and plans

The base of my sampling are drawings. I have been drawing from the visual inspiration – snake skin, shark scales, images of different texture. Was using my mood and research boards pictured in previous posts. I have been exploring the different structure and junction of geometric shapes, used collage and line drawings. Was experimenting with placement, composition and shape.

I traced shark scales on the skin. I chose different types of sharks, which have different skin formation, but the same principle, similar texture. Was exploring overlapping shapes. I drew two types of snake skin – overlapping scales and organised scales. I used aluminium foil, which I painted, to represent the texture. I was overlapping my drawings in order to play with different placements, did design studies for my future samples.

I was playing with same shapes, but different scale, placement and combinations. Also stylised some of the shapes. I overlaid, collaged the cutouts and drew on top. Searching for different ideas for my actual sampling.

Graphic presentation of different textures. These drawings will help me with different junctions of materials. Again, mimicking snake and shark skin.
Have a look at my sketchbook:

I chose Diego Vencato as my designer inspiration. He is an Italian industrial designer. The designer is basing his work on innovation. And my inspiration is his project – Wooden Mesh.
https://www.dezeen.com/2013/03/13/wooden-mesh-textiles-by-diego-vencato/
The fabrics called Wooden Mesh were design to transform rigid wood into a flexible material, which behaves more like cloth. I chose this designer, because I find it interesting, of how he transforms one material into another. It shows that materials have endless possibilities, what is exactly the main idea of my current project. Moreover, in his designs he mimics animal skinned uses similar shapes as from my research. Even tho, the aim of Diego Vencato’s project is to move beyond the hand-crafted production, I’d like to see if I can produce similar work, without using any hi-tech machinery.
You can read more about his work here: http://www.diego-vencato.com

Now it’s time to start sampling!

One comment

1. nadamson

Apologies you could not show me this the other day, the Wifi just kept crashing and I was in a coffee shop as my wifi was done at my home and I really could not hear anything anyone was saying, it was just not my day. Your drawing work really shows of your theme well as well as developing the idea of structured patterns. The layout of your blog is really lovely its so clear and concise and the journey of your work and ideas is so clear to follow. Love the little sketchbook video to show your pages and development of drawing ideas and the connection to the designer works so well with your ideas, this is been so considered and looks like you have enjoyed the process, which is great.