project 2: Task 4

from making all  my samples I realised that I wanted to create a more three dimensional piece, that mimics the shape and properties of mushrooms, the antibacterial element found in them would be useful to fight infection of the wound.  The grooves which mimic the “gills” of the mushroom would hold the medicinal cream or draw out the septic parts of the wound.

I furthered my textiles experiments by creating some larger samples that are more in sync with my design ideas.

I used a faux suede in a pale brown that i sourced from Edinburgh fabrics, and used a random smocking stitch to create a similar affect to the mushrooms. I really like the pattern, and think it would work well as an arm piece, it would be perhaps nice to embellish it with some other materials, perhaps some wire, so that it becomes sculptable.

Here I wanted to think more about the look of mycelium, which is often found on rotten wood, so I used the wood veneer, and some beige thread, sandwiched between the peva plastic. I think this also worked well, although it doesn’t really have any structure which I feel the design needs to be able to stay on the body.

I had a go at creating a 3D form in tissue paper by crumpling it in a specific pattern to create dips and points. I love this effect, and think it could be explored a lot more to create different patterns and pieces.

I also looked at a textiles artist called Gwen Earl, who specialises in paper textiles< specifically 3 dimensional forms that look geographical. I love the tactile nature of her work, and how it is so sculptural, I am going to think about this when I work on my final samples.

bibliography

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/337991190_To_Heal_or_Not_to_Heal_Medicinal_Mushrooms_Wound_Healing_Capacities

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3188448/

« »