Door stops are an invisible practicality. They sit quietly in the corners of rooms or propping a door open. I thought the use of door stops could be significant at the moment as everyone is trapped indoors and our doors cannot be open.

This also made me think about everyday useful things that we neglect and give no thought to.

Combining these two thoughts, I came up with an activity I would do when trapped inside (papier mache) and newspaper and physical print is used for craft due to it’s disregarded value.

Physical Newspaper is neglected in a way due to the rise  and accessibility of technology. I attempted to papier mache my doorstop using clingfilm.

Here is my side by side of the Papier mache completed next to my doorstop.

This facilitated into further development into my resolved piece as I carved into a loaf of bread to create a Doorstop. Bread is also an everyday  convenience that isn’t thought of much this similarly reflects my aims with using newspaper to create a Doorstop.

Unappreciated and unvalued items with daily use related to my last post as Dorsey is one of the first African-American inventors to have recognition for his work.  Door stops are a reminder of all the inventions that weren’t credited fairly due to the injustices in contemporary American Society.