I started looking at my door stop in my university room; I never use it. I’ve added a picture of it currently, it is a rubber ‘wedge’ style door stop.

This Door stop mechanism was invented by Osburn Dorsey, a 19th Century inventor, he is one of the few African American inventors to have patents for their inventions (he received patent number 210,764). Artist Sarah Browne (1981 Dublin) worked on the Daimler Art Collection with three metallic doorstops with the idea of a crafted, functional ‘everyday sculpture’ that fits invisibly into the room while in use.

There are many types of Door stops, I have a basic rubber wedge, this falls under a door holder as it stops the door shutting. You can get some fun door holders that are very heavy and made of fabric which sit in front of the door (shown below).

More creative wedge door stops are being sold, endless additions and designs available. When looking online I was seeing Etsy and Pinterest links on how to DIY and make additions to your own plain door stops to make them more interesting.