Week 3: Rectilinear Volumes II

image_pdfimage_print

For week 3, we had to create rectilinear compositions again, this time with plastic. I created 3 different compositions consisting of cubes and cuboids. The most challenging part for me was definitely looking for sources of plastic to begin with, since plastic isn’t as easily accessible when compared to paper or cardboard. I ended up creating cubes and cuboids out of plastic from steak packaging, meaning I had limited resources and had to come up with unique volumes while keeping size limitation in mind.

We also learned how to create rotated plan perspective sketches this week, where we had to draw sketches for a house and one of our rectilinear volumes. The house was easy to sketch due to its simple shape, however the rectilinear volume proved to be a challenge due to its more complex shape, which I had to redo multiple times for the final sketch to actually somewhat resemble the rectilinear volume.

Another task this week was to draw cubes using two-point and three-point perspective. This was fun to do as I have done this before in high school. It was a bit hard to get the exact cube shape right instead of drawing cuboids, but I got the hang of it after a while. Overall, this was a great exercise as it let me see how cubes would look like and be drawn from different perspectives,

12 thoughts on “Week 3: Rectilinear Volumes II

1. I like the way the tape that you have used to cover the cuboids to stick them together creates different surfaces. Also, nice job on finding a plastic source.

2. Even with limited resources I think your compositions look very interesting, my personal favorite is the one on the left!

3. I like the way you put your cuboids together, even the fact that you decided to use more than 3 for some composition

4. I found interesting how you thought of using steak packaging. Also, loved the use of 4 components instead of 3 in the first 2 compositions.

5. The compositions look great. I especially like the first one, as each cuboid has an essential role not only in visual terms but also in keeping the other ones up. This means even non dominant blocks have an important role in the composition and it makes for a really cool result.

6. I really enjoy this, I find it to be incredibly creative and resourceful. I love the color and using the tape added depth.