link to video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/1UCKlAIdJyA
- posters on the windows. take phrases from the letter and display them for the community to see. could replace with my own phrases (actually related to our flat ie. “greeny has come back from NI”)
- developed: could change the poster every hour and update our neighbours on our lives, just like nanny updated avi.
- leave letters on park benches/in public spaces for people to find
- make prints/resolved images based on phrases. text layered with photographs? could even be made into a book.
- project phrases on to the flats opposite my window? very Jenny Holzer but also very impactful.
artists to look at:
- Alexa Hare (collage, text)
- Kevin Harman (doormat project, community-based art, almost performative?)
- Matthew Sawyer (‘hidden’ public art, ‘documentary works’)
- Sophie Calle (almost like a detective, engrossed in other people’s lives)
- Jenny Holzer (text art, small and large scale)
things to remember:
- don’t worry about where it goes. don’t worry if it gets far away from the letter. make work. learn to draw a line under the sand.
- do something fun. do something lighthearted
- the simplicity and perceived ‘mundaneness’ of the letter is what makes it work. play with that.
Some visual experiments with paint/spray paint. Taking phrases out from the letter and seeing what they look like in isolation/rearranged with other phrases.