SketchUp Tutorial videos –
7 – Eraser –
- Only affects edges in SketchUp.
- Individual or hold the mouse button down to erase edges.
- X Ray mode to delete edge
- Hold Shift, to hide edges when using an eraser.
- Soften edges – hold option key down and use eraser.
- Eraser edges delete edges and surface surrounding.
- Option shift to reclaim those edges.
8 – How to draw a sphere –
- Draw a circle first, then orbit to a side view.
- Draw a second circle, from the centre and perpendicular to the first.
- Select the first circle
- Pick the Follow me tool and click on the 2nd circle, erase 1st circle.
9 – Inference locking examples
10 – Rotate Tool
- Icon orientates itself to any surface you hover.
- Select the object you want to rotate, then click mouse once to set the orientation centre, then move away and click away to rotate, click a third time to end rotation.
- You can also lock the orientation or rotate tool by using the shift tool.
11 – Move
- Points, groups, edges and surfaces can be moved. Autoselect is an option. Finish along points or edges or corners – eg use walls as pin points.
- Using the axis to move objects.
- Make sure that you move that object from the floor so that it moves in a normal way in 3D space such as the floor. All relative to a starting point that you have chosen.
12 – Offset tool
- Click on any flat surface to offset any surface in or out. It will auto select and work on any flat surface if nothing is selected. One surface at a time. By just selecting the edges you need to offset then the area created is cleaner.
- Shortcut, double click mouse to repeat an offset distance.
13 – Scale Tool
- Scale grips – grab and pull on a flat image – pretty straight forward. Can type in an exact value in the scale bottom which will automatically scale that object with the enter button.
- Can also use scale to mirror objects – by using a – in the scale.
- Click align access to be more specific with your drawings.
14 – Follow Me Tool
- Shape and path to pull along.
- Using the select tool, you can preselect the line that the follow me tool can automatically follow – then a continuous shape is created.
- Modify key – hold command key and click the surface you want to follow along.
15 – Tape Measure Tool
- Measure edges and distance, create dashed construction geometry. Click the first point – measure distance – look at the measurement distance in the measurement bar.
- Tape measure – to create construction lines.
- End and inference points – can create construction lines from this.
- Scale group or individual component – edit group, measure edge, type in correct value and accept the change. Then scales the object without affecting the rest of the model.
16 – Arc Tool
- Two point arc, click to define the endpoints of the arc and then create the radius.
- Magenta colour shows to indicate the tangent arc or tangent edge.
- Can create smooth edges and shapes.
- You can change the sides of the arc – type in a number then s eg 5s or 40s
Using Scale and Move
Follow me Tool and inference locking
Using Arcs –