#4 Otomi inspired handkerchief

© Image by 2020 LunAzuL Gallery

For the fourth square, I embroidered a turtle inspired by Otomi designs. I chose the turtle, because, in the indigenous language Nahuatl, Ayotzinapa means turtle. I embroidered an Otomi design because the Otomi design belongs to the Indigenous Otomi people and the 43 Ayotzinapa students were mostly Indigenous. So the search for the 43 Ayotzinapa students it’s not only a case of violence, corruption and disappearances in Mexico but also of racism. As often indigenous lives are not deemed worthy in Mexico. To bring awareness to this I want to embroider an Otomi turtle design using satin stitches.

© Image by Julie Brown Art

When looking for more Otomi designs of turtle I found this picture of a drawing of a turtle using an Otomi design. So I decided to embroider this turtle but instead using very bright colours. As in Otomi designs often a lot of different bright colours are used.

© Image by Dzaui

I started by sketching the turtle and planning out the colours. Ultimately I ended up switching the colours as I embroidered as I found better matches.

© Image by Dzaui

This is the end result. I used satin stitches for the different parts of the turtle. I chose very bright colours. I also used brighter colours as I wanted to make this handkerchief a bit more happy as the other ones are quite serious. So I wanted to commemorate the 43 students in a positive light too. Which is why I embroidered such a bright turtle.

To do the same as the 43 Ayotzinapa art collective and protest I have also put my embroidery on my Instagram account https://www.instagram.com/stitchahead/ feel free to check it out :).

← Previous Post

2 Comments

1. lrichar3

Your technique has really come on and this piece feels as though it connects to baby yoda????

IF you have time, the otomi designs always have the beautiful interplay of shapes against shapes with the pattern making. This is reflected in the watercolour drawing by Julie Brown. Do you have time to add some of the coloured fronds and foliage to ground the turtle on the cloth?

Your last challenge is now to get your embroidery messages out onto social media…or have you done that already? Evidence of connecting your stitched voice out to the wider world will make these pieces all the more convincing.

2. edonald2

Well done Dzaui, I can see the work you have put into your blog and all the changes you have made. It seems to be working 🙂

I have enjoyed your posts around 43 and I want more. Could you share some of the sources you have been using to allow your blog readers the chance to find out more?

Good job with adding attribution to your images, it’s all starting to come together and looking great.