Plan Personal Project 4.3 embroidered squares (week 6/7)

After sampling a couple of ideas inspired by other political embroideries for the 43 Ayotzinapa students I decided to conceptualize my own project.

In week 7 and 8 we had time to discuss our personal project with Lindy Richardson, our Stitch Yoda and professor. I was still doubting whether to do 5 embroidered squares or perhaps 6. Lindy suggested doing 4.3 embroidered squares, because of the 43 Ayotzinapa students and I really liked that idea. So now I just had to decide what I was going to do with those 4.3 embroidered squares.

In the end, I narrowed it down to

1. Virgen de Guadalupe,                                                                                                                done with CAD embroidery – however after the Covid-19 outbreak and quarantine it’s unfortunately not possible to use the CAD embroidery machine so I want to either do appliqué with felt or do different stitches such as in the first picture.

© Image by Pinterest, uploaded by emmadelosnardos

© Image by Distroller, found on Pinterest uploaded by Angeles Hernandez

© Image by Edward, 2012.

2. Community/Fuentes Rojas inspired embroidered handkerchief    

The Fuentes Rojas Collective often embroidery white handkerchiefs with the names of people who are missing (see Fuentes Rojas Research post). So I want to embroider a white square with one of the names of the 43 Ayotzinapa students in red thread. As the Fuentes Rojas Collective often embroiders with a community I want to let various different people stitch different words.

© Image by Dzaui

3. Solidarity with the 43 Project 

I stumbled upon this project called #IllustradoresconAyotzinapa/#IllustratorswithAyotzinapa (https://ilustradoresconayotzinapa.tumblr.com/). On this site, there are illustrations done by all kinds of different artists. Most of them say: Yo  (nombre) quiero saber donde esta (nombre) – translated as I, (name) want to know where (name) is. So I want to do a similar thing on a white handkerchief. I will embroider Spanish text saying: I, Dzindua-Dzaui want to know where the 43 are. Using running stitches and trapunto for the number 43.

© Image by Argel Gómez Concheiro

© Image by Sofía Guerrero

© Image by Teresa Mtz

4. Otomi Design 

For the fourth square, I want to embroider a turtle inspired by Otomi designs. I chose the turtle, because, in the indigenous language Nahuatl, Ayotzinapa means turtle. I want to embroider an Otomi design because the Otomi design belongs to the Indigenous Otomi people and the 43 Ayotzinapa students were mostly Indigenous. So the search for the 43 Ayotzinapa students it’s not only a case of violence, corruption and disappearances in Mexico, but also of racism. As often indigenous lives are not deemed worthy in Mexico. To bring awareness to this I want to embroider an Otomi turtle design using a satin stitch.

© Image by 2020 LunAzuL Gallery

© Image by Julie Brown Art

0.3 Half of a face 

@ Image by Donají, #IllustradoresconAyotzinapa

For the 1/3 piece of fabric, I want to embroider half a face on it probably something similar to this picture on the left.

(@ Sofía Guerrero)

(@ Julie Brown Art )

← Previous Post

Next Post →

2 Comments

1. lrichar3

Really excited to see the results of your intentions. It particularly interesting that you are employing the 4 different approaches and that everything is so convincingly tied into the atrocity and the cultural connections.