The Bradford textile society project!!!

after looking at my recent projects I had established that i work well with alternative materials. I love print so i knew this had to be involved within this project. When looking back at my samples I saw that the first project really stood out, it was innovative and different and as this was embroidery and fabric manipulation I also wanted to use this skillset further. I choose to enter the mixed media catagory as i feel i can create something really unique and individual and use this to my advantage!

I started to look on the WYGSN website at current trends. from the self evaluation i was able to identify that my strength definetly lay in project 1, thew mixture of fabric manipulation, embroidery, print and alternative materials worked in my favour. So regarding this brief I started to look at alternative material trends. I found a really interesting article about the use of materials and how this is essential through the pandemic as materials have become sparse, meaning we need to be more resourceful.

what caught my eye was the use of cord and laces, in project one I used shoe laces to create a fun tactile feel to the weaves so seeing this become a trend was amazing! the concept to this trend is really interesting from the WYGSN they speak about “survival mode” and its extra fitting due to being in the midst of a pandemic.

PRINT AND PATTERN 

whilst using alternative materials is important for this project so too is adding in print. Looking at the current trends print and pattern is trending on the runway.

I then looked into print types, to see which catagory I fit into. I found “painterly handwork” and it was just me! expressive mark-making, super fun and irregular. This printing style was really in, it was a coming trend which really benefitted me. I also feel adding in an expressive fun print also relates to the pandemic, by adding in a fun element to your life not allowing yourself to be trapped in a covid bubble.

i also stumbled onto a really useful article on the  joyful expressive trend, it really got me excited to start sampling as it was exactly how I felt and something i was dying to explore!!

The indiviualists 

https://www-wgsn-com.ezproxy.is.ed.ac.uk/fashion/article/87908#page_5

The individualists is a trend that really speaks to me. For my S/S 21 I will be designing a garment that is fun, youthful and maximalist. The individualist push fashion to the limits with their innovative and fun approach, they create their own trend with their exaggerated shapes, quirky pattern and fun outlook on fashion. Avant Guarde fashion plays a big part as everything is over the top for that shock factor on the runway. This year I want to create bold, fun textiles with a sustainability element, reusing and repurposing alternative materials just with a quirky and maximalist approach for the quirky youths.

Previous

Attachment styles with fabric!

Next

Sustainability!

1 Comment

1. lrichar3

Great to see you using the research to confirm the direction of your presonal ideas and your own emerging style. You appear to be really excited by the project and have begun to identify a clear aesthetic tied into appropriate materials. Take care to ensure you have a context in mind as this will help you to streamline what materials you use and how you use them. Who will your textiles be for and how and where will they use them?