Weave and sample breakdown!

My weave inspiration I looked at was Vanessa Van. Van uses alternative materials and waste fabric. My personal favourite was her weave using zips, she manipulated the end of the zips to create almost knots and it was this bulkiness that I really enjoyed. http://www.adropofwonderstudio.com/2016/01/weaving-with-alternative-materials/

The way the knotting sits at the bottom really stood out to me, it looks almost unintentional but at the same time really beautiful, I knew I wanted to include this within my weaves. I also really enjoyed the way she used heavy material in a way that it almost drapes effortlessly, I think combing this technique with alternative materials especially a contrast of materials would work really well.

This weave is the first one I created, as I felt my embroidery samples were effective with the machine ruffling I added this technique to the weave. In relation to my inspiration I knotted the ends of the weave, I feel this was particularly effective with the Ikea labels as the knot really stands out but captures the effortless feel like Vans did also. I wanted to use a range of materials so I looked at layering and stacking whilst being conscious of the thickness of materials. Having the contrast of the alternative materials i.e pink bin bags and Ikea carrier handles mixed and put against the delicate tulle and thin scarf was really effective, it appears interesting at sight however with a tactile element.

My second weave I wanted to add in another material, trying to be as sustainable and resourceful as possible I noticed I had a lot of tape measured around, looking at my data I immediately started to manipulate and ruffle the tape measure, I used my data to look at how many ruffles I needed to do i.e 80% = 8 ruffles. I added this into the weave and everything started to look wackier and a lot more fun. By having the different layers interact with each other it conveys how the anxiety symptoms and corona symptoms both melt into each other as if the layers are masking each other, never knowing if it’s corona symptoms or anxiety.

I feel the weaves are really tactile but also embody me. They have a lot of emotional impact linking to colour association. The erratic and bold colours compliment each  other whilst also drawing you to the samples. I want the viewer to feel the emotional connections to the samples as well as looking aesthetically at their bold and tactile nature.

Previous

Adding in some print!

Next

Experimental knitting!

1 Comment

1. lrichar3

Well done, you have mastered puting in the links.
    I am really enjoying seeing your personality coming through in your sampling here already. You have developed a strong personal handwriting in your textile development. I am looking forward to seeing these samples in the flesh as I am sure the photos are not fully doing them justice. Try to do some research into how other people take photos of their textiles. Can you try lighting them in different ways or take photos from different angles? Also consider posting some of your images awful size on the page and some smaller.