In the development of my samples, creating layered pieces using pressed rose petals, onion skin and papier mâché, my theme does not just focus on the incorporation of organic materials and structures but has references to paper-making. The idea of paper, like a skin or a membrane, a highly manipulative material made up of elements meshed together will lead to the refinement of the concept for my final design.

Image showing development sample

This sample was created as a response to discovering that layers create a more vibrant compositional design when viewed in front of a light. Hidden shapes, objects and the overlapping of materials are revealed creating a much more exciting piece. In this development sample I used onion skin, rose petals, cotton fabric with red cabbage impressions, white vinyl, heat transfer paper, rubber fabric and candle wax. As my sample development so far has only included binding techniques by heat, I used melted candle wax in place of glue, tape or stitch as a bonding material to keep my materials intact.

Development Sample 2

Image showing second development sample included on my board

I combined my development sample with one of my previous works from project 2 to create a light, open structured sample with a variety of different shapes and texture. I included this as a second development sample on my board.

Development Sample 3

Image showing work in process

My initial inspiration for wanting to create a lampshade came from my discovery of the incredibly compact and exciting layers in papier mâché that became visible only in light – shown in the image above. This led to my third development sample where I stitched scraps of papier mâché together as the base of this piece. I attempted to create cabbage impressions on the paper however this did not work as well as it did on cotton and in some areas the colour came out as blue, moving away from my chosen colour palette.

Image showing Development sample 3

The finished outcome was interesting, I really like how striking the orange mesh is and how the polyester shapes look as if they are growing out of the mesh.

Image showing Development sample 3 over light

Although I am really pleased with how this sample turned out, I felt it lacks aesthetic qualities when viewed under normal light. The sample appeared quite dense and heavy due to the amount of papier mâché used but it  clearly presents a variety of shapes, layers and colours when views over a light source which is what I wish to achieve for my final Sample.