Material Sampling

Material Board

For week 6 I explored the use of various material combinations in each of my samples. All materials have been fused together using heat. I recognise that a few of the base materials used in my samplings are not ideal for direct contact with the skin of people with eczema however, these are just quick samples exploring the fusibility and bonding of materials provided to us in our material pack. I was curious to see the patterned structures I was able to create with the layering of these materials.

Designer Research

Studying Junya Watanabe’s use of structured pattern for inspiration, attempting patterns of my own at a smaller scale.

Sketchbook Work – research and starting point

Sketchbook notes showing research into project before initial sample ideas

Research and starting point of my sample ideas

Sample 1

Image showing sample 1

This sample is meant to explore the use of breathable materials, texture and colour

Sample 2

Image showing sample 2

This sample explores tactility and colour. It is padded and soft on the skin. However my base material should be lyocell fabric

Sample 3

Image showing sample 3

Exploring structural pattern. I found it particularly hard to bond the materials together in this sample. a lot of Peva Plastic was required to hold everything in place.

Sample 4

Image showing sample 4

I wanted to create a more open structural pattern in this piece making it thinner and more breathable. I tested the base fabrics ability to absorb water and it seems fairly absorbent however, I will not use this material for the base in my final samples

Sample 5

Image showing sample planning

Sample 5 inspiration was taken from the microscopic images of cellulose shown above. Structural pattern was developed from compact grid like formation of cells.

Image showing sample 5

Exploring the flexibility of sample with bonding different materials together. Exploring structured pattern and tactility. this Sample is again, very light, rotating of the wrist is easy with added protective layer due to the hardness of wood veneer.

Sample 6

Image showing sample 6

I really enjoyed creating this covering sample. The synthetic leather type material bonded really well with other materials using heat. Great textures were produced with the use of heat transfer paper, white vinyl and cork however, I do not think the colour of the base material compliments all skin tones.

Sample 7

Image showing inspiration of sample 7

Sample 7 plan shown in above image. Inspiration taken from microscopic image of cellulose.

Image showing sample 7

This sample is my favourite so far. I wish to develop this idea for my final samples with added features from some of the others. the white vinyl creates a glossy coating good for repelling water, the pattern is flat and subtle to stop it getting caught in clothing or attracting too much attention. The back of the leather material is soft on the skin

From exploring different materials and ‘cellulose’ structured pattern ideas I have decided for my final week I wish to create samples that are light, for easy movement, they must be flat or as flat as possible for easy movement of sleeves over the covering, they must be breathable while also being water absorbent on the inside, water repellent on the outside and most importantly have lyocell as the base fabric due to its high absorbency, soft feel on the skin and its antibacterial properties, hypoallergenic nature – meaning, the material has an inhospitable climate for bacteria, viruses, dust mites and other indoor allergens which is ideal for those with eczema. the material is also able to wick away moisture unlike cotton as mentioned in my research. (As I do not have access to lyocell I will be using cotton as an alternative material however, lyocell is the material I would have wished to use for this project)

← Previous Post

Next Post →

1 Comment

1. Aliya
    As discussed in the session on Thursday you have produced an exciting and interesting materials board experimenting with lots of surface ideas and qualities. I like the connections within the design of the shapes referring to your board of Structured patterns and the reasons behind adding the colour. Your illustrations work well to show the piece on the body and its great that you still link explanation back to the brief and project function, which is great. I feel you are missing sketches and drawing from your board to give you more refined and individual visuals to work your final pieces from as this is a requirement of the brief. I think you make an interesting connection with the designers work and your blog has been put together in a very considered and professional way. I think you need to work slightly backwards now and go back and develop from your initial fabric ideas or choose 1 or 2 to draw from and really think about the design and aesthetic as you are being asked to produce a really beautiful and aesthetic cover so this needs to be fully considered, a good body of work though so well done.