image_pdfimage_print

Using my initial experiment as a guideline, I have performed the same (/similar where a process cannot be replicated) processes to a different subject. I have chosen one with juxtaposing qualities – where the 0.5kg york plate was resilient, heavy, discarded, this second object is more fragile, light, and had a more useful intended function.

I have chosen a disposable bic razor.

I began with the mandatory subjugation – this razor proved far less stonefaced in the path of punishment

As I had done previously I took a rubbing to create an impression of the object and subsequently attatched that impression, and other bindings, to the object. The razor, despite being more fragile, was far more resistant to my other processes, and it proved difficult to effectively complete them.

After creating this conglomerate of waste, I went about putting the physically altered object back into its original contect to create a jarring image.

As I then moved to my restorative processes, I encountered similar problems – this object was much more succeptible to physical change, but would not cease in making it difficult for me to effectively render change unto it.

The nature of this object was such that if I were to cast it into the oven, despite being completely disfigured, the fumes and smoke produced would be intolerable. Another example of insolence from my second subject. I had to completely alter my process to accomodate, and cast it instead into the freezer, in a spoons measure of water.

It was only loosely fixed, and came apart easily. I decided to capture this new sculptural form back in the razors original context.

I then prised my second subject from its icy bindings and placed it back home, as I had done with the my first one.

I remember when I was a child there was a book about an owl, finding discarded objects without use, like pencils sharpened too short or spoons lost down the back of the settee.  There is a similar sense of melancholy about this, the fractured implement. Despite its original purpose, usage and ownership, it is now without purpose – broken and discarded, the same as the first object.