WEEK 8: BEADING + BEDROOM CONCERTS

Prologue

One of the most common uni challenges is finding that social life and school work balance. Week 8 was not my time to shine. Given that Stitch starts on Monday at 9 A.m. (bright and early!). And I am an anemic, underweight girl who’s medication comes with a side effect of tiredness-so you can see where this is going-I was very much unfortunately not awake when I walked in. I also went out on the Sunday night prior to this class. (Once again, ground breaking and shocking considering my low energy levels and the fact that I rarely leave my flat past 7 P.M.) But the reason I went out was very very exciting!

Inception, 2020, iPhone Mirror Selfie by Chloe Grieve and Grace Joyram

You already know Grace is my partner in crime. So what event did we go to? Round to my lovely friend’s flat to see my beautiful friend Jess practice her set for a concert she was doing later that week at Leith Depot! She has the voice of an angel, and was accompanied by a synth, which sounded magical. A real life work of art, and I am very grateful my introverted self crawled out of my flat to be apart of a night so special.

Me in Sophie’s iconic bedroom. (She’s really really cool.)

You may be thinking what the hell does this have to do with beading? Well I am simply setting the scene for the next day. Incredible fun night but with a deteriorating anxious body getting less than 8 hours of sleep kills my soul. So that is why I was not at my prime the next day in class. (No regrets tho. xo)

Onto the Beading:

We were very lucky to have the incredible Chloe Price as a guest lecturer! She is such a talented woman who has created beaded garments and pieces for such iconic brands and celebrities. (Unfortunate I was so tired when she came in, though her story was fascinating.)

A look at smaller beaded samples she created. The intention to detail is incredible. She also uses more unusual materials sometimes to embroidery with i.e. rubbery bands and covering shiny beads in netting to magnify them.

A look at the collection of garments she created.

Bonus photo of student Daniela Lara Espinoza’s work.

I wanted to do further research into artists who use embroidery, but in relationship to mental health. In all honesty, I didn’t find much. However I cam across artist Louisa Hammond, who’s work I instantly fell in love with.

“Not all Wounds Are Visible” Cross stitch aida, embroidery threads, beads, lace trim, felt. (February 2015)

Her “Not All Wounds Are Visible” series is a beautiful tribute to those who struggle with mental health through embroidery. Although the beading on this piece is small, and for accent detailing, it is beading nevertheless tying it into this weeks theme. I highly recommend having a full look at the series she created. It is truly something special.

My own take on beading in stitch. I wanted beads to be more incorporated in the stitched text compared to Louisa Hammond’s own work. I created this while I felt very anxious. I couldn’t exactly put a finger on that day’s cause of anxiety, and wanted to unleash some of this energy so I picked up a scrap piece of fabric from the repeat print project last semester and stitched away!

As far as certain COVID-19 circumstances, 50% of people have reported an increase in feeling anxious. So this piece not only reflects something I often think, but it reflects the current situation of our world.

Above is my initial practice at beading, along with a different kind of more loose hanging beaded stitch, and some stitched sequins!