STITCH TO GIVE VOICE (10/02/20)

The morning of our Week 5 Brief, Stitch for personal, social, and political voice began with a lecture by Dr Alison Mayne. I scribbled some notes down in my book:

STGV NOTES (5)

Agnes Richter could be very relevant to my own research into embroidery and mental health, as I have already done very extensive research on Lorina Bulwer.

STGV NOTES (3)

It was a very interesting, very informative lecture. Just a shame I am always half asleep at 9 A.M. on Monday morning, as you can probably see from my very messy notes! She mentioned lots of very intriguing artists who I want to do further research into for my own personal project.

STGV NOTES (4)

STGV NOTES (1)

STGV NOTES (2)

The end of my Alison Mayne notes and the beginning of notes on Nikkita Morgan.

For the second half of the session, we got to chat with Nikkita Morgan as she showed us her finished textile pieces and samples. Nikkita is a really cool woman and I really enjoyed talking to her as well as having the opportunity to see her work in person. (Here is a link to her website if you’d like to learn more about her!)

STGV (4)

Looking at a piece Nikkita creating using a technique called gold work. I love the woven texture that it creates and actually quite like the unfinished look. It’s very intriguing. Also am really enjoying the textures created on the different hairstyles.

STGV (2)

I love how she is not afraid to swear in her work. She just goes for it, and I appreciate the authenticity that comes across through it. The way she stitches her text is also fascinating to me, and links in very well with my own exploration of text in embroidery.

STGV (3)

A more decorative landscape that very much explores a variety of different stitches.

STGV (1)

I quite like how she will leave certain pieces in the embroidery hoop. It acts as a frame for the piece, similar to how you may frame a painting. This is a piece of art.

STGV (9)

A piece which uses a more text/typography! Very beautiful.

STGV (5)

STGV (8)

A look at more gold work. The fringe texture created by the unfinished bits is just lovely.

STGV (7)

Overall her work is very political, and very much fits the theme of stitching to give voice as she creates a voice for herself, others, and Ireland on various political topics. I admire how certain parts of her work are interactive with the public and gets others involved in her art. This is something I would like to do, as mental health is something everyone has, and one in four people will be effected by mental illness in their lifetime. But due to the current circumstances, if I do decide to involve others in my final proposal I will have to get creative with how I do it.

My response to this weeks theme will be posted in a separate blog post which will be accessible by EASE users only. This is due to the nature of my embroidery being very, very personal, and although I want to be able to share it I feel more comfortable restricting the access to who can view it a bit.