SAMPLES INSPIRED BY FIRST SESSION

Sample One

After our initial embroidery class where we practiced our stitches, and got to handle archival pieces I felt inspired to carry on with my work and explore new types of stitch. You can check out the week one archival pieces which inspired these pieces here!

The first piece I have worked on is named My Rules For Therapy. All the threads used are in the colour palette of the NDS Touching Stitches exhibition to sort of fit with of some of the textile pieces I got to have a closer look at.

RULES FOR THERAPY (1)

Since the was more purely a practice piece, I have tried to do quite random stitches, and layered them over each other purely so I was able to get into the swing of things. Bullion knots where a new stitch I learned, and they quickly became a new favorite of mine. They look like little cocoons!

RULES FOR THERAPY (7)

RULES FOR THERAPY (5)

RULES FOR THERAPY (4)

Within the first class I instantly knew I wanted to base my stitches around mental health. Although this sample was more about practice, I still felt inspired to create this into a “proper” art piece. I did this by stitching the outline of speech bubble around my stitches using stem stitch because when I looked at the fabric, all the embroidery made it seem quite chaotic-just like all of what I may blurt out during therapy.

RULES FOR THERAPY (6)

RULES FOR THERAPY (2)

RULES FOR THERAPY (3)

I have also been heavily inspired by Lorina Bulwer and wanted to incooperate text with stitch into this piece, so I stitched by rules for therapy down the left side of the fabric.

Overall, I am really happy with how this turned out! It feel quite vulnerable with the text to me, which makes me a bit more anxious to show it, but I was happy I could give this piece a “completed” look.

Sample Two

For my second sample, I found a tan cotton fabric in my fabric box at home. Over the years, I have acquired many brightly colored embroidery threads and opted to use these for further stitch practice. Like my last sample, I simply wanted to carry on practicing my stitches until they were perfect!

EFM (1)

EFM DIAGRAM

Quick sketch of my sample with the different stitches done labeled.

I also wanted to include embroidered text so that the two pieces could be tied together. “Embroidery is a Form of Mindfulness” seemed appropriate due to the links of improving self esteem through stitch, as well as the factor I found creating this very calming.

Closeups of the sample! I think the photographs turned out beautifully, really show the bright color and convey the texture created by the different embroidery stitches.

EFM (5)

EFM (6)

EFM (3)

EFM (2)

EFM (4)

I personally prefer my first sample to this one-I think I prefer the more muted colors of the threads in the first compared to the bright playful threads of this one.