PRESERVING YOUR OWN TEXTILES

When I’m not doing embroidery, I work part-time in the beautiful vintage store, Herman Brown! Inspired by my recent trip to the Centre for Textiles Conservation at Glasgow University, learning about the various ways that are gone about to protect historical garments and textile samples reminded me of things that my job has taught me. Working in vintage, I have learned the importance of dusting as well as careful cleaning to keep the clothes protected. These are all things that were very relevant to how the textiles were stored at Centre for Textiles Conservation.

I am very grateful that I got to ask Anna, the owner of the shop and my boss, what her top tips would be for storing my embroidery and textiles samples. As she has been in the vintage business for many years, (Herman Brown has been open since 1983!) I knew she would have good advice on how I could protect my own work. Here are her four top tips:

1. Use unbleached tissue paper to wrap the samples in. Tissue paper absorbs any moisture and muck. Which is why if you find old clothes wrapped in tissue in a box, the tissue is always brown and yellow from what it’s absorbed.
  2. A dry clean place always the best play to keep your samples. Do anything in your power to keep textiles clean! If the room is moist the samples will get moldy and dirty.
  3. If it needs to be hung up, hang it up on either a rounded hanger, or the right shaped hanger. The best way to go though is carefully folding the samples.
  4. Folded up in tissue from acid-free unbleached tissue paper in box from Morplan is the safest way to store your work.

A very special thanks to Anna for taking the time to culture me on the best ways to store my own embroidery samples! You can check out the Herman Brown website here, as well as the shop Instagram, and Facebook!

One thought on “PRESERVING YOUR OWN TEXTILES