FIRST SESSION OF HANDLING ARCHIVAL PIECES (13/01/20)

Rather than spending £10 print credit & waste a whole lot of trees, I thought it would be better to opt for displaying the photographs I took digitally from our very first class. This was the first time that I was able to handle archival pieces.

ARCHIVAL PIECES (13)

ARCHIVAL PIECES (1)

A really beautiful fashion plate runner which originates from Italy in 1948. The satin stitches are so delicately done. I received this information from Lindy:

Fashion through the ages. Very fine embroidery using shadow work. It is likely that this piece was inspired by illustrated printed fashion plate.

ARCHIVAL PIECES (7)

A book by the Embroiderer’s Guild.

ARCHIVAL PIECES (17)

Embroidered birds-showing the process with the initial drawing to the final stitched piece.

ARCHIVAL PIECES (3)

Colourful bonnet with cross-stitch. I had to photograph the backside of it as well; it is really interesting to see.

ARCHIVAL PIECES (20)

ARCHIVAL PIECES (14)

ARCHIVAL PIECES (11)

ARCHIVAL PIECES (12)

ARCHIVAL PIECES (8)

A British 1958 cot cover by Winsome Douglass. The following information was provided to me by Lindy:

Winsome Douglass was commissioned by the NDS on a regular basis to create pieces for the lending collection. She often worked in black, red and white.

ARCHIVAL PIECES (16)

Embroidered cap originating from Norway. Bold, thick chain and satin stitches make up the floral detailing. 

ARCHIVAL PIECES (10)

Embroidered top with little pieces of cross-stitch detailing.

ARCHIVAL PIECES (9)

A piece of embroidery which is appliqué based. It is really impressive-after trying appliqué myself I can really understand the time in effort that went into carefully went into tucking away the seams. Especially since this is all embroidered onto delicate netting. 

ARCHIVAL PIECES (15)

A sweet embroidered hat-date of origin unknown. It folds up easily, meaning it was probably meant to fit perfectly into someone’s pocket.

ARCHIVAL PIECES (5)

The famous Canterbury Tales! So beautifully and carefully done.

ARCHIVAL PIECES (19)

This piece has been done with reverse appliqué. I also really love the color choice-the red and navy blue is bold; each color really compliments this piece.

ARCHIVAL PIECES (6)

A piece with a bit of cross-stitch. 

ARCHIVAL PIECES (21)

A toy bull. The embroidered beads and decorative detailing on this piece really gives it another dimension.

ARCHIVAL PIECES (4)

A precious little stitched toy bird. Real feather tail and all!

ARCHIVAL PIECES (2)

A British smocking pattern from 1952. Lindy gave me the following information of this piece which read:

This piece depicts patterns assigned to regions and occupations. It links to the man’s smock from the 1800’s which is on display in the exhibition. The main stitches employed are blanket stitch and feather stitch.

So those are all the pieces we got to see and handle on our first during our first ever class! Definitely a very inspiring way to start off the semester.

One thought on “FIRST SESSION OF HANDLING ARCHIVAL PIECES (13/01/20)