My Find:

This is the bottom of a bottle I found on Cramond Beach that says ‘6 To The Gallon’ on it. When I got home I looked it up and it’s possible that it is from a whiskey bottle dating back to the 1800s. At first I thought it was a compass printed on it which made me think it might have been rum or another sailor drink.

Sea glass is one of my favourite things to collect and I would usually make jewellery out of it to give away. Unfortunately, I do not have my equipment with me and so cannot make any for this project. However, the idea still fits into the narrative of giving.

Final idea: My glass shard

I also placed a piece of my own glass into the sea. Glass is a raw material, not waste and it can be endlessly recycled. It does not produce harmful chemicals into the ocean and I knew this before I did so. In doing so I have given something back that I have taken another of. I do not know what will happen to my glass. It may be removed in a matter of days or it might stay in the sea for hundreds of years and when finally picked out it could look completely different to how it did when I put it in. Its texture will be completely different. It will no longer be sharp, it could be smooth and stonelike. It may have changed colour. It may be picked out by someone else to make jewellery with, or a lightshade or a work of art. It could end up on the other side of the world and see more than any human can ever imagine. It could end up on any continent or island or at the bottom of the deepest part of the ocean. Perhaps it will become a symbol of what our generation did wrong (I hope not). There are an infinite number of possibilities for my piece of glass. There is a freedom in letting go and resigning control of this seemingly meaningless piece of glass to the elements, to the tides and to the course of nature.