My Finds and a Composition

I returned to Cramond Beach with the intention of finding some more porcelain to add to the fragments I found last week. Amongst what I collected was  a piece of white ceramic with a dark blue edge which I imagine to have once been a plate.

Plastic:

I was struck by the amount of coloured plastic I found. I collected a few pieces that reminded me of a Mondrian composition. The fact that plastic was not what I was looking for and yet it seemed to be everywhere that I looked led me to consider why it is so much less desirable than other materials. There is a distinct lack of craftsmanship involved in the manufacturing of plastic. It is a material that has only been available since the advent of machinery to produce it, and anything can be made from plastic. There is no hand to be seen in plastic and on top of that it is detrimental to the health of the environment. 12 million tonnes of plastic ends up in the ocean every year and it has a lifespan that ranges from 450- 5,000 years. Only 9% of plastic is recycled and that which isn’t is either burnt (releasing CO2) or put into landfill.

Off the back of that visit to Cramond, my flatmate and I have decided we are going to organise a litter pick on the beach as it just can’t be ignored.