Installation of A Pot for a Mound on Hiiemägi.

Video link click here:  https://youtu.be/bfZCkOIe9Dg

A small and delicate pointed pot, made of unfired Suurlaid Island clay carried to Hiiemägi in Kunda. To be left on a mound on the sacred burial hill of prehistoric communities.

The Pot installed on top of the mound. Where it will be left to disintegrate.

The pot inside the protective saggar before it is installed.

The small pot survived the journey. It’s leather-hard saggar protected it very well. The saggar came back with me to Tallinn. I left the pot nestled in one of the grooves of the moss between the rocks. The mound does not look like a pile of rounded stones because it is so overgrown but they are loose and circular.

The mound revealed how the wind sweeps around it. The grasses have been pressed in a circular winding around the base. I could see how the wind moves around the mound, just as water moves around a stone in a river, or how flames pass over a pot in a wood-kiln. Around the mound in this sweeped shape there were also buttercup like yellow flowers. These were not anywhere else on the heath but just around the mounds.

The sun went dark after I walked away from the pot. Casting a shadow on the mound. This was completely unplanned.

It feels that sloping forms and wrapping currents are running through my sculpture practice and actions.

I have been reading Tim Ingold’s ‘Correspondences’. It feels so appropriate.