Updated study plan

After a few weeks working on this project, my research is focusing on particular elements of the space:

1. Curtains, an element you normally find in indoor spaces. I want to expose curtains to outdoor spaces, to juxtapose indoor elements with outdoor environment. Curtains make reference to indoor spaces and its comfort. Finding them outdoors should trigger a reflexion of the characteristics that surround the different types of spaces we navigate.  Exhibiting fabric in a self-standing structure also makes reference to Modernist material exhibitions, where the importance of materials was emphasized by displaying them in self-standing structures. Lilly Reich was one of the main promoters of this way to exhibit products. She was a member of the Werkbund  Group in Germany and organized many exhibitions during the beginning of the 20th Century.   The Werkbund believed in the ability of art and design to reform society.                                                                                                 I want to explore fabric materials that can be economical and sustainable. I was looking at muslin and hessian, and considering natural dyes and screen printing to paint the fabric. The metal structure I am using for the curtains have been recycled from an old work. The use of sustainable or recycled materials attempts to show the qualities of these materials, in the same way that the Werkbund attempted to show the qualities of manufactured goods at the time.                                                         
    2. Wall insulation materials. I have become interested in the transitions between spaces. There is a number of layered materials that are found in between walls, these materials are used for technical purposes, but they also mark a conceptual change in the space. The range of behaviours and rules that domain indoor spaces is completely different from the behaviours allowed in outdoor spaces. I find fascinating that these materials, that are often overlooked can be so full of meaning and purpose. Formally, the layering of different materials is aesthetically intriguing.                                         Due to my interest in sustainable materials, I aim to make a sculpture based on the layering of sustainable or recycled materials. I was looking at cardboard casting, using recycled pallets and wood. Again the exhibition of layered materials would have to do with the current trend of showing the qualities of raw materials. Nevertheless, in this case the work will focus on the qualities of recycled or sustainable materials. Figure 1. Intaglio print, curtain sculpture, Ana Yarza

Figure 2. Wall insulation, unknown phtographer.