In your 3rd year, you will have the opportunity to study abroad at partnering Universities around the world. Sadly, the School cannot offer everyone a chance at a year abroad, so it is limited to those who are performing very well in their studies throughout first year. The University of Edinburgh has many partnering universities to choose from for this and an exhaustive list can be found here.
There are two types of exchanges
- University-wide exchanges: This is where the university has the exchange agreement
- Subject-specific exchanges: These are exchanges available only within your school
Previous subject-specific exchanges
- Saarland University, Germany
- University of Trento, Italy
- UPC Barcelona, Spain
- EPFL, Switzerland
- ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- Carnegie-Mellon University, USA
- University of Illinois, USA
- University of Maryland, USA
- University of Pennsylvania, USA
Note that these were universities on the subject-specific route for Informatics in year 2022/23 so are subject to change. Partnering universities will be announced in the information session.
Step 1: Attend a pre-application information session
The information session is a chance to learn more about the different exchange opportunities as well as the application process. It also gives you the chance to ask the Exchange Coordinator any questions. These are usually held in October
Step 2: Research partner institutions
Before sending an application, you should research the host universities thoroughly.
- Where Can I Go guide – This page has more information on destinations
- Partner Guidance notes – This page has some more information on the universities provided by our partners.
Step 3: Read the relevant Exchange Application Guide
Depending on whether you are going through the university-wide route or the subject-specific route, the exchange application guide is a very comprehensive document about the application process.
Step 4: Complete online application
Online applications will be opening so keep an eye on the Go Abroad website
- Go Abroad Website – main website for student exchanges
- Study abroad information for Informatics Students (restricted access)