Opening bank accounts
How to open a UK Bank Account
One of the first things you’ll need to think about when you arrive in Edinburgh will be opening your bank account. I know this topic seems very grown up and confusing but here are a few quick tips to make it easier for you:
- Start the process ASAP, opening a bank account can take up to a few weeks.
- Go with a student account for some extra benefits like an interest free overdraft.
- Benefits depend on the bank
- Usually only open to UK students
- Prepare your documents.
- One or two forms of ID (e.g. passport, Visa, driving license, etc.)
- Proof of UK address
- Proof of student status
Consider going with an ethical bank. This is important as many large banks participate in tax avoidance and fund unethical/unsustainable industries such as the fossil fuel industry and arms industries through their investments.
- The Co-Operative bank
For more advice on bank accounts and banking go to:
Is it possible to find out which banks have ATMs around campus?
Unfortunately, there isn’t but Google Maps would be the best way to find out and I know that there is definitely a Santander ATM at Potterrow (at the main campus). Also, most bank operated ones do not have the usual fees so they don’t charge users to withdraw cash even if they are with another bank
Post originally written by Sraddheya Gurung, Informatics Communications Intern 2021