Informatics Personal Tutor Guide

Informatics Personal Tutor Guide

A quick guide to Personal Tutor information for Informatics staff

Tier 4 Visa Engagement Monitoring

Students on a Tier 4 visa require additional engagement monitoring. There is an indication on the top ribbon of a student’s EUCLID record as to whether they are on a Tier 4 visa or not.

  • International students on a Tier 4 visa require a first contact point to be logged by their Personal Tutor on their first initial meeting of the year (Semester 1, Week 1)
  • If a student on a Tier 4 visa leaves the United Kingdom, they should keep the Student Support Team updated. They can leave the country for up to 60 days under the terms of their visa without issue. Any further time away risks the student’s visa status and the student will be reported to the Home Office.
  • Students on a Tier 4 visa who are taking a year abroad should have contact with their Personal Tutors on a monthly basis either via email or phone to check how they are and if they are still engaged. This needs to be done during the first week of each month between September and June.
  • Students will be contacted by the Engagement Officer if they miss any contact points and Personal Tutors will be included in these emails. Personal Tutors should get in touch with tutees to ensure they are compliant as appropriate.
  • Students should be encouraged to speak to Student Immigration Service with any queries.
  • Design Informatics MSc students on a Tier 4 visa have the following five engagement monitoring points that need to be added by their Personal Tutor:
    • Initial meeting of the year in September (Semester 1, Week 1)
    • Start of semester meeting in January (Semester 2, week 1)
    • Meeting in person to review academic progress in February (Semester 2, Week 4)
    • Meeting in person to review academic progress in March (Semester 2, Week 7)
    • Meeting in person to review academic progress in April (Semester 2, Week 11)


Helpful links:

EUCLID how to: Engagement for Tier 4 visa students

Student Immigration Service

Students on a Year Abroad


Report this page

To report inappropriate content on this page, please use the form below. Upon receiving your report, we will be in touch as per the Take Down Policy of the service.

Please note that personal data collected through this form is used and stored for the purposes of processing this report and communication with you.

If you are unable to report a concern about content via this form please contact the Service Owner.

Please enter an email address you wish to be contacted on. Please describe the unacceptable content in sufficient detail to allow us to locate it, and why you consider it to be unacceptable.
By submitting this report, you accept that it is accurate and that fraudulent or nuisance complaints may result in action by the University.